Ancien prieuré des Sépulcrines
  • Ancien prieuré des Sépulcrines
  • Ancien prieuré des Sépulcrines
  • Ancien prieuré des Sépulcrines
  • Ancien prieuré des Sépulcrines

The ancient priory of the Sépulcrines

rue du Collège
B-6830 Bouillon

This listed building was the convent of the Sépulcrines, who had come from Andenne in 1626 with a teaching mission that had been given to them by the Bishop-Prince of Liège Ferdinand of Bavaria, in order to counter the Protestant influence from the neighbouring town of Sedan whose Prince Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne had espoused. In 1794, after the dispersal of the sisters by the French Revolution, the building got sold as "National Good", then gradually turned into housings and it will include a workers-training school for the Devillez-Camion metal factories. The facts that metal factories closed in Bouillon at the end of the 20th century and the rehabilitation of the site enabled the setting up of the archéoscope with an ultramodern museography that plunges us in Godefroid de Bouillon's universe at the leaving of the first crusade

Top